Login
 

Historic Pictures

16/12/2012

...

Tags

Setting up the Rig

3/8/2012

We bought a wooden mast & a set of cotton sails from Mike Hick.
Friends of mine Morris Evans & Joan Whyte kindly altered the sail number to R 2 on the sail. The shrouds & fore stay fitted perfectly so we were ready to go...

Tags

Finishing the Hull

1/8/2012

The outside of the hull was sanded down & coated with a thinned coat of epevanes varnish. Three further coats were applied by brush with reduced amount of thinners in each coat. The name of the boat was painted on the transom after the second coat of varnish & then varnished over.
When the varnish ...

Tags

Fixing the ply deck

22/7/2012

We bought a 10ft X 5ft sheet of marine ply from Robins which gave us just enough to complete to decks. We clamped the whole sheet to the deck frames & marked the frames position from underneath. The shape was cut out using a jig saw allowing a generous tolerance & the areas between the frames were v...

Tags

Varnishing the inside & fixing the deck framework

14/7/2012

The hull being complete it was time to coat the inside with Epivanes varnish. The first coat was thined down with white spirit & three coats were applied. We bought some douglas fir & prepared this to make the inner & outer rails to support the deck. The rails are supported on the laminated knees & ...

Tags

Steaming the oak ribs & Making the Knees

12/7/2012

After finishing planking the hull we made a steam box from shuttering ply & piped two hoses from wall paper strippers to supply the steam. I purchased some strait grained green oak, cut this to size & prepared it over a planer. I filled a tube with water & soaked the oak for two days.
We loaded the...

Tags

Rebuilding the hull

11/7/2012

A new transom was fitted & new planks were fitted to replace ones that were too badly split. Any planks that were sound were refitted & copper nailed together. The planking was clamped to the jig to ensure the proper shape was maintained....

Tags

Dismantling rotten sections of the boat

10/7/2012

Keith is cutting away the transom so that the boat coald be restored to the correct length by scarfing extra agba timber onto the existing planks. We made up a jig for the router to get a snug fit on the scarf. we glued the scarf with epoxy resin to ensure the strength....

Tags

Examining the hull

7/7/2012

The deck was remove & we made an assessment of what needed to be done. The shape of the hull had been compromised so it was decided to make up a set of frames made from the original drawings. The length of the boat had been reduced & a replacement transom fitted presumably because of rot in the ends...

Tags

Checking the shape of the hull

7/7/2012

The frames were set up within the boat & were supported from the upper beam of rotary jig & braced to keep them line. The original hull was then clamped to the frames...

Tags

Preparing To start Work

3/7/2012

I was concerned that all the bending involved in carrying out the restoration would aggravate a back problem I had so I invented & built a rotary jig which would enable us to work on the boat at a comfortable height. This was completed by the end of September 2007 & the boat was inserted into the ji...

Tags

Collecting Boat from Instow

30/6/2012

We first became aware of the Looe Redwing when we meet Boris ( Mike Hick) & David Price in 2005 at a classic boat festival in France. I was sailing an international fourteen that I had restored when I was seventeen which is quite fast but is very tender. The weather was blustery & we thought that th...

Tags

redwing,Instow,